Suzannne

MyReadingWorld

Lover Reborn: A Novel of the Black Dagger Brotherhood
J.R. Ward
Into the Darkest Corner - Elizabeth Haynes Suspenseful, yet calculatingly slow paced, taking you willingly on what pans out to be a journey where you'll constantly be questioning each scene. I didn't know who to trust. Catherine seemed neurotic, but her OCD behaviour was understandable, you'd do the same wouldn't you?
A brutal, sickening scene introduces us to Lee, the main character, allowing the reader to feel every fear that Catherine experiences and those she anticipates. Catherine, as trapped as she appears, never leaves you feeling she is without hope. Ok, maybe occasionally she relents but that only makes her a character that is believable. I found myself readily connecting to and empathising with her.
Twists that I didn't see coming, unable to trust other characters as genuine except for one, keeping my heart rate at an heightened level throughout the story.
A stand alone book with a great ending, not necessarily what I hoped for but it gave you closure for what is quite a dark story.